With the wedding season around the corner, it’s about time you get your Indian dresses for weddings ready. You might have already received tons of wedding invitations from friends and relatives. Once you get the wedding card, the first question that comes to our mind is, what to wear to an Indian wedding?
What to wear to an Indian wedding as a guest, is a question that pops up in everyone’s mind, not just women. Most men have the misconception that they have very few options that they can wear to a friend’s wedding. While weddings might hold a number of dress codes, we suggest you stick to traditional clothing when it comes to guest attire. Women might have a lot of options to wear to an Indian wedding reception, but so do men. Men can pick up the right outfit to wear at an Indian wedding depending on the role they have in the occasion, or even on the specific function of that day. So here are some options men can sport at Weddings.
Guest’s Outfit Ideas According To Different Wedding Ceremonies :
Most Indian men find it a hassle to find the perfect outfit to wear to an Indian wedding. Apart from the first question that pops in our head i,e, what to wear to an Indian wedding? The next thing that comes into our head is what to wear for the wedding season by occasion. Whether it’s the Mehndi ceremony, reception, wedding, sangeet or engagement. We are here to help you find the best suitable Indian dresses for weddings that will make the right impression. Keep reading to get an insight as what exactly to wear to an Indian wedding as a guest.
1. Mangni Outfit Kurta Churidar & Nehru Jacket :
When considering what to wear to an Indian wedding, the first outfit we talk about is for Mangni or engagement. If you are attending a friend or family member’s Mangni, then a Kurta Churidar & Nehru Jacket is the best-recommended outfit. If you want to keep your look simple, yet traditional, this is your go-to outfit. You can layer your kurta with a Nehru Jacket that is of a contrasting shade or even the same shade to create a monochromatic look. We recommend you pair your kurta with a dark shade Nehru Jacket. Complete the look with a pair of classic brogue shoes.
2. Haldi Outfit Yellow Kurta And Dhoti :
Wearing the color yellow totally goes with the mood of a Haldi ceremony! When you dress for the Haldi ceremony, be prepared for some mess! Don’t dress too casual, but also don’t be too dressy. You can opt for a yellow or white kurta, paired with a pajama, Patiala or dhoti. You may end up with yellow stains on your outfit, hence it is recommended to opt for yellows or brights shades to save your outfit from stains!. Dress low key and comfortable for Haldi ceremonies. Go for pastels or bright colors on Haldi with contrasting embroideries or patterns. It matters what to wear to an Indian wedding and it’s every ceremony, so dress smart and appropriate to the occasion.
3. Barat Outfit Sherwani With Paagdi (Turban) :
The next outfit for what to wear to an Indian wedding occasion is Sherwani. A sherwani can be best worn for a Barat look. It’s the perfect Indian wedding attire for western male guests. A sherwani is probably the best outfit for dark-skinned men. It looks classy and graceful with an elegant style. It is similar to a topcoat worn over a kurta, along with a churidar, or dhoti salwar. To add some extra element to your look, a Paagdi would go perfectly. You can complete the look with a pair of traditional Jutis. The headgear is very essential during Baraat to add some expression to the whole look! You could probably get matching Paagdis for your whole gang!
4. Reception Outfit :
Indian Jodhpuri Suit :
The next outfit for an Indian wedding based on occasion is the reception look. For receptions you don’t need to wear traditional attire, you can go for something as classy as a suit. A perfect blend of the western-inspired traditional suit is the Jodhpuri suit. It is a class apart from most reception looks. The look comprises of a coat and trousers and sometimes accompanied by a vest. Sometimes you can even contrast the trouser with the coat color to add more jazz to the look. Complete the look with a pair of classic brogues or board room shoes. This look is sure to make heads turn at the wedding reception!
Western 3 Piece Suit :
Another look that you can score for a wedding reception is the classic 3 piece suit. Weddings are formal events, therefore we always recommend one to dress in the best formal look, whether traditional or fusion. As a guest to a wedding, Most men may wonder what to wear to an Indian wedding. But a suit is probably the safest and best option for a reception. It is stylish and defined and doesn’t drag too much attention. You can complete the look with a pair of formal shoes for a timeless look. If you are not keen on traditional attire, then this look is perfect for you.
5. Designer Outfit To Stand Out :
If the wedding card you receive is all glam! Then you ought to dress your best to make a great impression. If you wonder what to wear to an Indian wedding that is grand, then here are a few options. Many Indian weddings nowadays demand men to wear something royal and grand. You can pick up a heavy work sherwani, or a regal sherwani that can match the grandeur and splendor of big fat Indian weddings. You can opt for designer sherwanis with heavy embroideries and work with sequins that add more glamor to your looks. You can carry an embroidered dupatta along with your designer sherwani. If not a dupatta along with the sherwani, some designer pieces also add a cropped jacket to glam up the kurta.
What Not To Wear To An Indian Wedding?
Now that we have discussed what to wear to an Indian wedding, here are a few pointers to keep in mind for what NOT to wear at a wedding. You may have waited all year for the wedding season to come around, but the festivities can give you the pressure of waiting for the right clothes. Sometimes men make the mistake of wearing the wrong clothes for a wedding. Here are some common mistakes that you might make :
1. Avoid Dressing Too Loud: If you are attending the wedding as a guest it is disrespectful if you are as dressy as the groom. It’s best to avoid overdressing, as you can overshadow the groom on his special day. We recommend you to not overdo the accessories and keep it elegant and simple.
2. Say No To Dressing Inappropriately: Avoid overdressing, but also keep in mind to not dress too fancy or casual. Shorts, denim, flip flops, or sleeveless tees are some big NOs when it comes to what to wear to an Indian wedding. In most occasions, it is best to stick to an Indian traditional wedding.
Important Tips To Dress To An Indian Wedding :
- Pick the right fabric based on the season of the wedding. Warmer fabrics in the winters and Khadis and lighter dressing in pastels for the summers.
- Avoid wearing a mix of too many colors or prints unless you are Ranveer Singh!, otherwise, you might end up becoming the laughing stock.
- Avoid wearing light colors on Mehndi or Haldi functions unless you don’t mind getting color stains all over your clothes
- Do not wear too many layers or too much embroidery, as you will grab unnecessary attention. Remember, simple and minimalist way of dressing is elegant for weddings.
- Apart from your dressing, ensure to get a good haircut and groom yourself well before the big day!
Grooming Tips Before Attending An Indian Wedding :
“Simplicity, good taste and grooming are the three fundamentals of good dressing and these do not cost money.”Christian Dior
Here are a few last-minute grooming tips to look your best at the wedding.
- Ensure to properly trim and shave your facial hair.
- Get a hair spa a day earlier to ensure a good hair day.
- Get a facial done to cleanse your face.
- Apply a foundation according to your skin tone.
- Put some moisturizer on your lips.
That’s everything you need to know about what to wear to an Indian wedding as a guest. Most Indian men are conscious about looking their best, and these tips are sure to grab some eyeballs your way. Be confident, and carry whatever look you decide on, and keep it classy and not too dressy. We hope you dress well for any upcoming weddings in this wedding season. And our guide should help you with your next Indian wedding.
Share with others: