Do you want to cut down on the extra body fat you have gained? Then you must be looking for fat loss diet plans over the internet and surprisingly you find a lot. The varieties of available diet plans may trigger the most confusing question in your mind: which fat loss diet plan is most suitable for me? Well, initially some of them may show some changes; but a well-designed scientific keto diet for weight loss can do the best for you.
But wait. Are you a vegetarian? If yes, then you may think that the keto diet is not your cup of tea, right? Many people think that the keto diet is all about having fish, meat, flesh, and many non-veg food items. That’s not true at all.
Many researches have shown that a vegetarian keto diet can be more beneficial than a non-vegetarian keto diet. You have plenties of options to follow a vegetarian keto diet for weight loss. Here, in this article, we will talk about everything you must know about the Indian keto diet for vegetarians.
Q. What Is Keto Diet? How Does Keto Diet Work?
Before proceeding towards the vegetarian keto diet plan, let’s figure out what is a keto diet for weight loss? And how does it aid in fat loss?
- What is a Keto diet? A ketogenic diet or keto diet is a fat loss diet that consists of low carbohydrate and high fat. In such a diet you have to consume a moderate amount of protein. The key idea behind a keto diet is to make your body efficient to get calories from fats instead of carbohydrates. Basically, a keto diet is a popular short-term (1 month) high fat and low carb diet plan for fat loss in which calorie consumption is structured in decreasing order.
- How does a Keto diet work? Our body is used to getting calories by burning carbohydrates that are easy to digest. When you limit your regular carbs intake between 20 to 50 grams, your body runs out of glucose which works as the fuel of your body and is synthesized from carbohydrates. It may take 2 to 3 days. Then your body starts to produce energy from fats, proteins, and even from the stored fat in your body. This metabolic state is medically termed as ketosis. Therefore, it aids in fat loss more effectively than a low-fat diet.
Related Post: Pros And Cons Of Different Types Of Diet To Lose Weight
Q. What Is Indian Keto Diet Plan?
While preparing an Indian keto diet plan for vegetarians we must keep in mind that the main aim should be on replacing carbohydrates with fats. That means you have to drastically drop the amount of carbohydrates (like rice, roti, chapati, etc) that you consume regularly and replace those foods with fats. This will trigger ketosis in your body and within 2 to 3 days your body will start producing energy by burning fats instead of glucose.
Composition Of An Ideal Indian Keto Diet Plan :
While talking about the Indian keto diet for vegetarians, it must consist of a lot of nutritious foods and vegetables that keep your body filled with essential vitamins and minerals. Based on the Indian vegetarian’s food habits you have to include dairy products, healthy oils, seeds, and legumes that are rich in fat in your keto diet for weight loss. A normal keto diet plan naturally works for 4 weeks where your calorie consumption decreases week by week. It naturally starts with 1500 calories and ends at 800 calories.
The most important thing in a vegetarian keto diet plan is to make a proper combination of the macros for the best results. So, the perfect combination of the macronutrients in an Indian keto diet for vegetarians should be:
- Carbohydrates: 10% – 15%
- Proteins: 25%
- Fats: 60% – 65%
Further in this article, we will discuss which Indian foods you can consume while you are following a keto diet for weight loss and which foods you should avoid. Moreover, we will suggest a 1 month Indian keto diet plan for vegetarians. So are you ready to trigger ketosis in your body? Yes, right? Then carefully go through the article till the end to know everything about an Indian keto diet for vegetarians.
Q. What Are Your Best Options In A Vegetarian Indian Keto Diet?
If you are a vegetarian and if that is why you are not choosing a keto diet as your short-term fat loss diet, then let us tell you that you have a lot of options to adopt in an Indian keto diet for vegetarians. There are plenty of foods that you can add to your vegetarian keto diet, but you have to give up some foods that are rich in carbohydrates. Here we are listing the best keto meals that you should consume as well as the foods you have to give up.
1. Vegetables :
Vegetables are the most essential ingredients in any type of diet plan. They are rich in fiber and contain lots of essential minerals and vitamins. Therefore, in order to make your keto meal more healthy, add cruciferous, non-starchy, and green leafy vegetables to your plate.
- Vegetables you must consume: Spinach, fenugreek leaves, coriander, mint, turnip, bottle gourd, cauliflower, mustard greens, and radish, etc.
- Vegetable to avoid: Potatoes (they are very rich in carbohydrates).
2. Substitute Cereals And Grains :
Cereals and grains like rice, wheat, ragi, oats are high in carbohydrates. Therefore you have to give up these grains and cereals when following a vegetarian keto diet plan. That means you can not consume rice, chapatis bread as a keto meal. But, instead of that, you can substitute those grains with innovative ingredients. Here we are listing them.
- Grains and Cereals you must avoid: Rice, ragi, wheat, semolina, corn, etc.
- Substitution of grains and cereals: Use almond flour to make chapatis. Use lettuce as wraps. Replace bread with low-carb panini and eggplant. Moreover, cauliflower rice can be a good option for the substitution of traditional rice.
3. Butter, Sour Cream, Ghee, And Creams :
In a vegetarian keto diet plan, good fats are the main ingredients. Therefore, as the source of good fats Butter, ghee, sour cream, and creams are considered to be the best keto foods that you must add to your diet.
4. Substitution Of Milk :
Milk contains lactose that is rich in carbohydrates. Therefore, you must avoid milk while following an Indian keto diet for vegetarians. But, it does not mean that you have to give up with milk totally. Replace your regular milk with soy milk or almond milk.
5. Nuts And Seeds :
Nuts and seeds are low in carbohydrates and have high healthy fat contents. Moreover, they are rich in micronutrients. Therefore, these are one of the best keto foods that can add more nutritional value to your vegetarian keto diet plan. So, consume plenties of walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. However, the consumption of hazelnuts and cashews should be moderate because they are a little high in carbohydrates.
6. Proteins :
Protein can reduce the speed of the fat loss process. So, if you are one of those who are used to consuming high amounts of protein, you have to lower its amount to get the maximum benefit from a keto diet for weight loss. Protein should be consumed in moderate amounts. Add cottage cheese (paneer), tofu, soybeans, chickpeas, rajma, and other lentils to your keto meals.
7. Avoid Sweet Fruits :
Sweet fruits are high in carbohydrates. Therefore, avoiding these fruits is a must in a vegetarian keto diet for weight loss. Instead of sweet fruits, you may consume citrus fruits and avocados.
- 9 keto fruits that you may consume: Lemon, Watermelon, Strawberry, Cantaloupe, Raspberries, Star fruits, Tomatoes, Blackberries, Avocados, etc.
8. Bulletproof Coffee Or Tea :
This name may sound a little strange but it can be the best keto food for your breakfast. This coffee has high-fat content and a lot of calories to give you a perfect start for the day. Do not add sugar and milk while preparing this coffee. Use heavy creams instead of them. Here is the recipe for bulletproof coffee.
- Coffee powder
- Heavy Cream (1 tablespoon)
- Butter (1 tablespoon)
- Organic coconut oil (1 tablespoon)
- Boil a cup of water in a bowl and add coffee powder to it.
- Then in a blender pour the coffee and add 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and blend them well.
- Your keto-friendly bullet coffee is ready for you.
Things To Follow For The Indian Keto Diet Plan :
Keto diet is a special type of short-term diet that is structured to reduce fat faster. Therefore, you have to be conscious about everything in your keto diet and must follow them to achieve the best benefits from a 1 month vegetarian keto diet plan. Here are the rules that you must keep in mind while following an Indian keto diet for vegetarians.
- Drink Plenty of Water: When you are on a keto diet for weight loss, that is you are on a low carb diet, then your body excretes more water and sodium in the form of urine. Therefore, to replace the lost water you must drink more water. Moreover, your body releases some ketones instead of burning them. So, to ensure that these ketones do not accumulate you should provide your body with plenty of water so that your kidney can filter out the toxins. Finally, water helps to metabolize fat faster. So in a keto diet, drinking enough water is a must for you.
- Limit Your Carbs Intake: The best keto diet for weight loss should always be low in carbohydrates. Therefore, you should avoid consuming more than 20 grams of carbohydrates in a day. To reduce your carbohydrate consumption you should give up with rice chapatis, bread, and sweet fruits. We have already discussed the best keto food that can replace those high carbohydrate-containing foods.
- Consume Digestible Fats: You can get digestible fats from ghee, yogurt, healthy oils, butter, peanut butter, cream, milk, and cottage cheese. So add these foods to your keto diet plan.
- Consume Moderate Amounts Of Protein: Proteins are an essential component of your food. It contains amino acids that are a must for your body. You should consume approximately 70 grams of proteins daily. As we already discussed, paneer, tofu, soy beans and a lot more options you have to add in your keto diet for weight loss. But never add high amounts of protein in a keto diet plan; otherwise it may slow down the fat loss process.
- Consume Seeds And Nuts: A lot of seeds and nuts we have already provided you to add in your keto diet plan. They add more nutritional values to your diet.
- Use Healthy Oils: As we know that a keto diet is all about high fat and low carbs. Oils have high-fat content and are also rich in vitamins like A, D, K, and E. But you must add the most healthy oils to cook and fry your foods. Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, and MCT oil are the best option for your keto diet plan.
- Consume Non-Starchy Vegetables And Citrus Fruits: Non-starchy vegetables that we mentioned above should be in your list of keto meals as they are rich in fibers and contain essential nutrients. Moreover, citrus fruits are also consumed to provide your body with essential nutrients.
- Add Multivitamins: Multivitamin capsules, omega 3 capsules, calcium should be consumed if you are in deficiency of them. Do not consume these supplements on your own. Always take the advice of a medical practitioner who can suggest the best supplements for you if needed.
Related Post: 15 Best Multivitamin Supplements In India
- Exercise Regularly: Exercise has lots of health benefits. It keeps you away from plenty of diseases and keeps you healthy. Moreover, it helps to boost the metabolic rate of your body and helps to burn more fat quickly.
You must keep in mind these things while following an Indian keto diet for vegetarians to lose body fat faster.
1 Month Indian Keto Diet Plan For Vegetarians :
Here we are listing a 4-week vegetarian keto diet chart that can be most suitable for your weight loss journey. We have added the best keto food to this diet chart. Those who will follow this Indian keto diet for vegetarians will start with a regular calorie consumption of 1500 calories for the first week and then it will gradually decrease week by week and will end at 800 calories in the last or fourth week.
Week – 1
Regular calorie consumption: 1500 calories
Early Morning: Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water with lemon juice.
Break Fast: 1 glass of strawberry smoothie with full fat milk/almond milk/soy milk and 1 plate of paneer/tofu bhurji.
Lunch: Salad (Spinach, Mushrooms and capsicum stir fried in olive oil or butter), Green salad, 1 plate quinoa khichdi.
Evening Snacks: 1 cup bullet coffee, keto zucchini bread (1 piece) and walnuts.
Dinner: 1 plate of mixed vegetables with tofu or paneer, ½ bowl of mushroom and spinach soup.
Week – 2
Regular Calorie Consumption: 1200 calories
Early Morning: Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water with jeera powder. Consume some keto-friendly fruits.
Break Fast: Bulletproof coffee ( 1 cup)
Lunch: Kulith (1 cup), Salad (Spinach, Mushrooms and capsicum stir fried in olive oil or butter), buttermilk (1 glass)
Evening Snacks: Upma / poha / keto zucchini bread (1 piece), 1 glass lemon juice
Dinner: Cauliflower with coconut milk, paneer bhurji, eggplant, and bacon alfredo (1 plate)
Week – 3
Regular Calorie Consumption: 1000 calories
Early Morning: Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water and lemon juice.
Break Fast: Buttermilk ( 1 glass), scrambled tofu ( stir fried in olive oil)
Lunch: Rajma, Paneer bhurji with mushroom, jeera water ( 1 cup)
Evening Snacks: Watermelon slices, Flaxseeds or nuts.
Dinner: Green salad ( 1 plate), kabuli chana, keto-friendly fruits and 1 cup of fresh lemon juice.
Week – 4
Regular Calorie Consumption: 800 calories
Early Morning: Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water with jeera powder.
Break Fast: Nuts, cheese sandwich, yogurt ( 1 cup), keto-friendly fruits (optional)
Lunch: pumpkin seeds, kala chana (1 cup), green salad and buttermilk
Evening Snacks: bulletproof coffee ( 1 cup) and brown bread ( 1 piece)
Dinner: oats (1 plate), Sprouts or paneer bhurji
Some Other Keto Meals:
If you get bored with the same type of foods then you can modify the above diet chart. Here are some more keto meals for your breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Keto meals for breakfast: Salad sandwiches, Ginger smoothie, Keto coconut porridge, Paneer Bhurji, Keto pancakes with berries etc.
- Keto meals for lunch: Quinoa khichdi, Kulith, Rajma chawal, Soya paneer patty, Barbequed Adraki Paneer etc.
- Keto meals for dinner: Vegetables and tofu, Mushroom with paneer and vegetable salad, Keto pizza, Bacon alfredo and Eggplant etc.
Q. What Are The Health Benefits Of A Keto Diet?
The Indian keto diet for vegetarians comes with a lot of health benefits that we have stated below.
- Faster Weight Loss: In a keto diet you consume high amounts of fats and very low amounts of carbohydrates. Your body uses fats to produce energy instead of carbohydrates. Therefore, your body has to use more energy to burn these fats. Hence a short-term low carb keto diet is always more effective for faster weight loss than a low-fat diet.
- Reduce Appetite: When you cut down foods from your regular diet to consume less calories to reduce your weight, you may often feel hunger. That is why most people give up dieting. But when you follow a keto diet, you cut down the carbohydrates intake and consume more fats. A low-carb diet always reduces a person’s appetite and helps him to consume less calories.
- Reduce Blood Sugar And Insulin Levels: A low carbs vegetarian keto diet helps to reduce blood sugar and insulin level in your body. As a keto diet is low in carbohydrates your body does not get enough glucose to burn or store. As a result, it lowers the blood sugar level. But if you are a patient with diabetes then always consult your doctor before making any changes in your regular diet.
- Reduce Blood Pressure And Risk Of Other Diseases: Reduce in regular carbohydrates intake can effectively reduce the high blood pressure level which also eliminates the risk of heart diseases, kidney failure, and a lot more diseases. Therefore, a vegetarian keto diet for weight loss can be effective in reducing blood pressure and the risk of other diseases.
- Improves Cholesterol Level: Bad cholesterol, mainly the smaller particles increases the risk of a heart attack. The low carbs vegetarian keto diet increases the size of these bad LDL particles and moreover, reduces the count of total bad LDL in your blood. That is how an Indian keto diet for vegetarians can lower the risk of a heart attack.
That was all about the health benefits of a Indian keto diet for vegetarians.
Q. Does Keto Diet Have Side Effects?
A short-term vegetarian keto diet is a good option for weight loss, but initially, it may trigger some minor problems. Here are the side effects that you may feel while following an Indian keto diet plan.
- Keto Flu: When you start a keto diet, in the beginning, you may see some negative symptoms such as headache, poor sleep, nausea, fatigue, or decreased physical performance. These symptoms are often termed as keto flu. However, keto flu is naturally over within a few days.
- Digestive Problems: When you adopt the Indian keto diet for vegetarians, sudden dietary changes can raise some digestive issues in your body. In the beginning, you may face constipation for a few days. Even a few people may also witness diarrhea. However, digestive problems are also over in a few days.
- Bad Breath: Bad breath is another common problem of keto diet. When you consume more fats, your blood acetone level rises. When you are in ketosis your body releases some of those acetones through breath. This causes bad breath. Usually, within 1 or 2 weeks, bad breath is over.
- Nutrient Deficiency: A Indian keto diet for vegetarians restricts a lot of foods such as whole grains, legumes, and sweet fruits that have high nutritional values. Therefore keto diet may cause a deficiency of vitamins and minerals in your body. However, to avoid this, you can consume multivitamins capsules, calcium only on a recommendation from your doctor.
- Hypoglycemia: If you are a diabetic patient and are on medication, then a low-carb keto diet can drastically drop your blood sugar level. So, before starting a keto diet consult your physician to know whether it is safe for you or not.
These are the most common side effects that you may witness at the beginning of your keto diet. However, these problems are usually over in a few days. But if these problems stay longer then seek medical help. Moreover, if you are on any special medication you must take the advice of your physician before starting to follow the above-mentioned Indian keto diet plan for vegetarians.
A low carbs vegetarian keto diet always proves to be more effective for weight loss than a low-fat diet. But you should also need to remember that the keto diet is a short-term diet. When your keto diet period is over you should consume a well-balanced diet. Moreover, stay physically active and intensify your workout sessions to maintain the achieved body fat ratio.
That was all about an Indian keto diet for vegetarians. We hope that this article is helpful to you. If you like this article, share it and stay tuned for more.
Disclaimer: This article does not represent the views and opinions of medical professionals. It is solely based on research and reference by the author. It does not offer any medical suggestions or advice.
Share with others: