With the emergence of social media, taking selfies has become an important part of our everyday life. A recent survey says, over 93 million selfies are taken every day. Taking selfies may be very popular among women, but men are not far behind. From celebrities to a layman everyone is busy capturing their perfect selfie moment. Here’s how to take a good selfie.
Have you ever faced any problem while taking a selfie? From low light or the perfect angles, especially at night? Well, if you have ever had issues while taking a selfie before, then you might understand the pain of not getting the right shot again and again. To make a photo better you just need a good source of light. Whether you’re taking photographs indoors or outdoors these tips should help you take a good selfie in low light.
Let’s start with step by step. Keep reading.
Change Your Phone Camera Settings For Low Light Selfie:
Most people have an idea about how to take a selfie on an iPhone and other android devices. So here we are not going in-depth of fundamental knowledge about exposure: shutter speed, and ISO. There’s another important exposure variable is called an aperture, that helps to adjust the lighting. But as you can rarely modify this on phones, we’re leaving it out for now. Here are a few ways how to take a good selfie :
- Make sure you tap on your face on your phone’s screen so the camera sets the proper exposure accordingly.
- If you have a good camera phone, it’s always better to take selfies using the manual mode. So you can adjust shutter speed, ISO depending on the light.
- Stabilize your shot. Sometimes you need to turn on the ‘night mode’ to take a better picture in low light. But night mode requires extra stabilization to click a good shot. So try to stabilize your hand as much as possible or rest your hands against stable support.
- The lower the light, the harder it is for your camera to recognize the correct white balance. So don’t be afraid to mess with your phone’s settings to see what works best.
- When you are taking selfies in a bad light, use whatever light that actually is available to illuminate your face.
- Few phone cameras come with front flash to help take better selfies at night. But frankly speaking, it makes the pictures worse. So try not to use flash for selfies or you can use any kind of diffuser to avoid the harsh light.
- Never zoom your face while taking a selfie because digital zooming amplifies unnecessary noise and lowers the resolution in a bad light.
- Use the back(rear) camera to take better quality selfies.
5 Ideas To Take A Better Selfie In Any Situation :
Now you know how to take a good selfie in low light using the camera settings, let’s move on to some more important points to keep in mind for how to take a selfie for guys. A selfie only looks good when all factors like pose, angle, background, etc are taken care of as the camera settings. So let’s talk about the important features to check for how to take a good selfie.
1. Adjust Your Angle :
This might be the most important tip among all. First, you need to find your best side of your face and then move your phone in different angles to know which looks better. However, the angle also depends on what else you’re trying to fit into your shot (besides your face). For example, if you are trying to squeeze Taj mahal in your shot, you might have to change your angle and position slightly.
*Tip: One of the biggest mistakes that guys make is taking selfies from below. Never do that, because you don’t want to show your nostrils to people.
2. Make Sure Your Background Is Perfect :
Would it look good if you find out your selfie has a pile of unorganized and unnecessary things photobombing? We’re guessing you answered “no”. The background is very important when it comes to clicking good pictures. A solid background is always a good option or you can use any background that is not too loud. Be picky about your backgrounds to be able to understand how to take a good selfie.
3. Follow The Rule Of Thirds :
Usually, photographers follow this rule. But most of the people who are not related to photography, don’t even know about this. If you want to click the best selfies you need to follow it. Following the rule of thirds can actually make your selfies look way better. You will be surprised how it adds more elements and depth to your picture. First, let’s understand in-depth about this rule and why we recommend it.
*Note: What is the rule of thirds in photography?
Imagine if you break down an image into thirds (both horizontally and vertically), you get 9 squares. So the theory is that if you place your point of interests in the intersections or along the lines, your photo becomes more balanced and will enable a viewer to interact with it more naturally. Studies have shown that while viewing an image people’s eyes usually go to one of the intersection points most naturally rather than the center of the shot. Try this next time you wonder how to take a good selfie.
4. Find The Right Expression :
There’s no such thing as a neutral expression. People usually struggle to find the right expression to look best in selfies. Don’t worry it’s not rocket science. Start practicing your expressions either in front of a mirror or click demo shots on your phone. No matter how good are you on how to take a selfie in the mirror, it always takes a minimum of 2 to 3 attempts to get the perfect one.
Although, the different situations require different expressions. For example, a good morning selfie will have different expressions from a late-night party selfie!
5. Make Sure You Look Good :
It’s not possible to look good all the time but at least you can do a quick makeover before taking a selfie. It takes hardly 5 minutes to set your hair, wash your face or comb your beard. Well, these are the few things that can make your selfies look better.
On a similar note, make sure you have a good night sleep to get rid of dark circles and pouches under your eyes. Keep reading for more tips on how to take a good selfie.
The Don’ts Of How To Take A Good Selfie In Low Light :
- Don’t wear sunglasses or any kind of glasses with a dark tint.
- Don’t look creepy.
- Don’t show off. Be natural.
- Don’t blink while taking a snap.
- Don’t let anyone photobomb you.
- Don’t use a mirror unless there’s no other way to get the desired shot.
- Don’t do any sort of dangerous activity like running, diving, hiking or skating, etc while taking a selfie.
- And lastly, don’t over-edit your selfies.
Q. What Are The Best Selfie Poses For Guys?
Frankly, there are no ideal poses for guys. It totally depends on every individual. Still, we would like to show you a few poses that are quite famous among guys. Here they are.
Q. What Are The Best Mobile Apps For Selfies?
Not every selfie you take turns out to be the best. There’s always something which needs to be fixed in order to get a perfect selfie. Hence, a good app required. Here are a few android and ios apps that can take your selfies to another level.
- Facetune: Correct your facial flaws precisely.
- Retrica: Social network as well as a selfie photo app with tons of filters.
- Airbrush: Correct your skin tone, blemishes, and other facial flaws with a tap. And also has features to enlarge your eyes, slim your face, narrow your nose, etc.
- Youcam Perfect: It lets you shoot both still and video selfies with an auto-correct feature make your face look perfect.
- Camera 360: Experiment with augmented reality, animal face stickers, animated themes, costumes, and sound effects for both photos and videos.
There is also another bunch of apps available in the market but these are the best ones for capturing and editing your selfies.
Q. How To Edit Selfies Like A Pro?
When it comes to editing any kind of picture professionally, we would recommend you to use photoshop and lightroom. You may find all the mobile apps very handy for editing your selfies in just a few minutes but when you want to give them a pro touch you have to consider these two tools. Unlike the apps, these tools have a ton of features that you can experiment with. However, you need to have basic knowledge before you get started.
Q. Should I Smile In Selfies?
Of course, you should. Sometimes people hesitate to smile on camera or think that they have an ugly smile. No. A smile can never be ugly and a person looks best with a smile. So keep smiling.
Q. What Are The Best Selfie Camera Phones Available In The Market?
More important to know how to take a good selfie, is to have the right phone! Well, there are plenty of them. Most brand’s flagship mobiles have amazing cameras like iPhone, google pixel, Huawei, Samsung, etc. But here are few affordable phones that have amazing cameras compared to their prices.
- Xiaomi Redmi Y3
- Vivo V9 Pro
- OnePlus 7
- Vivo V11 Pro
- Oppo F11 Pro
- Realme U1
- Xiaomi Redmi Y2
- Infinix S4
- Asus 6z
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro
This is everything you need to know about how to take a good selfie. So don’t worry about the women being PRO in the selfies they take, even guys can take good selfies. Check your lighting, angle, and properties, and good selfie poses to take a picture. So next time you plan to take a selfie, make sure to give this article a read!
Share with others: