To be honest, let us all admit that we often overlook our elbows and knees while following our daily skin-care regime. There is no point hiding them all the time and looking awkward while doing so. The best part is that for the answer of how to get rid of dark knees and elbows you don’t need to visit your beauty store and buy expensive products! All you have to do is search for them in your kitchen.
The coarse and dark patches look really ugly but guess what! You can turn them beautiful with some Natural Home Remedies. The skin tissues in your elbows are generally thinner, that’s why they are more susceptible to damage. The skin in these areas becomes darker due to sun exposure resulting in hyperpigmentation.
Related Post: What Causes Dark Neck? 5 Best Home Remedies & Creams
Common Reasons For Dark Knees And Elbows :
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, a condition or substance that triggers the skin to create additional melanin can cause dark spots and patches on the skin. Melanin is the substance responsible for giving skin its color.
Let’s first get informed on what exactly are its root causes. Here is why it happens:
- Lack of exfoliation causes the accumulation of dead skin cells on the skin over a period of time.
- Prolonged sun exposure leads to hyper-pigmentation and a darker skin tone in that area.
- Hormonal changes or reactions of the body from pregnancy or other conditions
- Pigmentation because of skin aging.
- UV radiation causes Melasma.
- Friction because of skin’s contact with certain fabrics, or any external objects.
- Certain skin conditions like Psoriasis, Eczema.
- Post-injury skin damage on knees and elbows.
- Accumulation of dead skin cells
- Sun exposure
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- A scar from a healed insect bite, cut, burn, or another injury.
Other reasons behind your dark knees and elbows could be your tight-fitted clothes. If you wear tight fitted clothes your knees and elbow joints will brush against your clothes especially while sitting and bending which leads to darkening of those spots. The skin tissue of your knees and elbows is slightly thinner and therefore, more prone to such issues.
Related Post: Effective Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Body Odor
Dark elbows can be tough to handle. But, a little patience and simple preventive techniques can help you tackle them with time, gradually. Though these are not permanent as with a few natural home remedies you can get rid of them easily.
11 Natural Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Knees And Elbows At Home :
1. Green Tea
Wanna know how to get rid of dark knees and elbows? Apply Green Tea which is a popular skin-lightening remedy. This is due to its main compound, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). A 2015 study found that EGCG has the ability to prevent melanin accumulation. It works by inhibiting tyrosinase, the primary enzyme required to make melanin.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Green Tea.
- Steep a bag of green tea in 1 cup of hot water. Let cool.
- Dip a cotton ball in the tea and squeeze out the excess.
- Swipe onto your knees. Repeat the process twice a day.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows? This is a question many dermatologists face and they claim Aloe vera gel can lighten up your skin, although there isn’t sufficient scientific evidence to support this claim. Advocates of aloe vera point to a compound called aloesin. According to a 2002 study aloesin reduces hyperpigmentation caused by sun exposure which has the answer to how to get rid of dark knees and elbows.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Aloe Vera Gel.
- Apply 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel to your knees.
- Gently apply it on your skin with clean hands.
- Repeat it 2 to 3 times per week.
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows? Add some Turmeric to your life as it is conventionally used to lighten skin. The antiseptic properties of turmeric, natural bleaching properties of milk, and the moisturizing compounds in honey lighten dark skin tone Curcumin is its primary compound, and is proven to be responsible for this effect.
In the year 2012 researchers found that curcumin inhibits tyrosinase activity. This limits melanin synthesis, which helps decrease hyperpigmentation.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Turmeric.
- Combine ½ teaspoon turmeric with 1 tablespoon of yogurt or honey.
- Apply the paste to your knees and wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off and moisturize. Repeat it 2 to 3 times a week.
4. Curd & Gram Flour Mask
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows? Use some Curd which is one of the best natural moisturizers, but most people are unaware of this fact. It can prove to be super effective in fading dark skin patches if mixed in with one teaspoon of vinegar and gram flour.
Apply this mask onto your knees, elbows and wait for 15 mins for the magic to happen. Later, With repeated use of a Curd and gram flour mask, you will feel your skin super soft and slightly brightened with every use.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Curd & Gram Flour Mask.
- Mix one teaspoon of vinegar with gram flour.
- Apply this mask onto your knees, elbows and wait for 15 mins.
- Rinse it off with warm water and repeat this frequently.
5. Coconut Oil & Warm Relaxing Shower
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows? Throw some coconut oil onto it which is another great remedy for dark knees and elbows is some rich coconut oil. Give your elbows and knees a good massage with coconut oil. We suggest you massage until it completely seeps inside and until your skin no longer feels oily. Following this, take a nice warm shower.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Coconut Oil.
- Take a little coconut oil in your palms and rub it well before applying.
- Massage it gently on your elbows and knees until your skin no longer feels oily.
- Avoid using soap for bath and pat dry your skin for best results.
6. Olive Oil & Sugar Scrub
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows? Yes, Olive oil is the popular answer which, when mixed with sugar makes for a great DIY(Do It Yourself) Body Scrub. Sugar acts as a natural exfoliant, helping remove dead skin cells leading to a brighter tone.
Olive oil on the other hand is an awesome and super nourishing hydro-bomb. Gently rub a mixture of sugar granules and olive oil for 5 minutes in a circular motion to remove dead skin cells and soften your skin texture. With a few uses, this natural body scrub will become your favorite one of all time.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Olive Oil & Sugar Scrub.
- Mix a little sugar with a certain amount of Olive oil in a bowl and stir it well.
- Apply the mixture onto your knees, elbows and wait for 15-20 mins for the magic.
- Repeat this multiple times throughout the week for the results.
7. Oatmeal & Yoghurt Mask
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows in 10 days? If you are ready for a power-packed moisture boost for your dull and dry skin, you need to give this mask a chance! Oatmeal and yogurt have ultra-soothing qualities that moisturize your skin.
Cleanse and lighten your skin color by applying yogurt to the dark area for at least 20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water. It’s also known to be a good moisturizer. You just have to take them in equal quantities from a thick mixture and apply this mask to your elbows and knees.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows in 10 days with Oatmeal & Yoghurt Mask.
- Take a certain amount of oatmeal and mix it with an equal quantity of yogurt.
- Stir it well apply it on your knees and elbows form a mask and keep it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off well. Repeat this procedure a couple of times a week.
8. Tomatoes & Papaya
How to get rid of dark knees and elbows? No, we are not going to ask you to add them to your diet, though they have excellent qualities. Applying tomato juice on your ashy knees and elbows rejuvenates dead skin cells and promotes light even skin color. Papaya on the other hand treats the dark areas of the knees and elbows by rubbing a slice of ripe papaya on them as it is a good source of antioxidants with bleaching properties.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees and elbows with Tomatoes & Papaya.
- Cut a slice of the fruit and try to eliminate the seeds neatly.
- Rub a slice of the ripe fruit on the dark part of your knees and elbows for 20 mins.
- Rinse it off well. Repeat this procedure a couple of times a week.
9. Lemon Juice
How to get rid of dark elbows overnight? The answer is, by throwing some lemons at it. Lemon is one of the most trusted natural home remedies for dark skin. With natural bleaching properties and acidic nature, lemon has time and again served as a constant skin-care savior. It works on brightening your skin tone and repeated usage will eliminate further darkening of your knees and elbows.
It contains Vitamin C which is a natural antioxidant with bleaching properties. It exfoliates and lightens your skin and helps you in getting rid of your dark knees and elbows. You’ll get a lighter and even skin tone as lemons to have natural bleaching properties.
Here’s how to get rid of dark elbows overnight with Lemon Juice.
- Squeeze the juice of one whole lemon.
- Massage it on the dark part of your knees and elbows and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do it frequently for the best results.
How to get rid of dark knees? Get a potato at your rescue immediately! Use a potato to get rid of those dark spots in your knees and elbows. The potato is a vegetable that has skin bleaching properties that help reduce scars and dark spots. So to get rid of dark knees and elbows, rub some potato slices onto your knees and elbows.
Here’s how to get rid of dark knees with Potato.
- Cut some potato slices, or you can use just the juice of it.
- Rub it on the dark part of your knees and elbows.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
11. Baking Soda & Milk
How to get rid of black knees? Go for the trusted combination of baking soda and milk. Baking soda has natural bleaching properties and is a dependable exfoliating scrubber. Milk on the other hand contains lactic acid that helps in brightening and soothing your skin.
This is the reason why baking soda and milk combination is a popular home remedy for dark skin. Gently scrub this mixture in a circular motion and leave it on for 20 minutes. While the exfoliating properties of baking soda help you get rid of dead skin, lactic acid in milk moisturizes the skin.
Here’s how to get rid of black knees with Baking Soda & Milk.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with a spoonful of milk.
- Stir it well to create a thick paste.
- Apply it on your knees and elbows and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off properly with lukewarm water.
Related Post: 11 Simple Home Remedies To Lighten Dark Lips Naturally
That’s nearly everything you need to know on how to get rid of dark knees and elbows. Though a light-dark spot in these areas is common for nearly every man and woman, learn how to transform it with this article! Try these remedies at home if those spots are too bad, and if your skin feels damaged due to them.
Related Post: How To Whiten Underarms Naturally At Home
Apart from the above remedies, you should practice long-term, good skin-care habits; such as, incorporating cleansing, moisturizing, exfoliating, and protecting your sensitive skin to lessen the formation of dark skin patches. Invest in a thoughtful and all-inclusive body care routine. Make sure to diligently wash your elbows and knees every single day while taking a bath.
Get rid of dead skin cells and prevent their accumulation by regularly exfoliating your knees and elbows. Exfoliate once or twice a week. Be gentle and always use circular motions while exfoliating. Do not over-exfoliate. Do not forget to moisturize post-shower to retain the suppleness of your skin. You can even use natural moisturizers such as coconut oil, olive oil, aloe vera gel, etc. Consult with a dermatologist to understand the root cause.
Disclaimer: This article does not represent the views and opinions of medical professionals. It is solely based on research and reference by the author. It does not offer any medical suggestions or advice.
Share with others: