There is no denying that at some point in time this question must have appeared in every man’s mind, that does masturbation cause hair loss in men? Have you ever wondered the same? With age, most men suffer from receding hairlines which makes us all very anxious. Hence, this question can also pop up! Don’t you agree? But is it just a myth or a fact? In this article, we will unveil the truth and also talk about a few common myths about masturbation.
Before we answer it, let’s first understand what are the typical reasons for hair fall in men? So keep reading.
Q. What Are The Main Reasons For Hair Loss In Men?
Do you know that a majority of men aged 50 or older have signs of hair loss. It reaches 4 out of 5 men by age of 70. However, sometimes men under 50 may also experience hair loss problems due to a few reasons. So what are they?
- Genetics: Most of the time hair loss problems run in the family. It is mainly triggered by the genes you got from your family. Although how anyone inherits this is still not clear but if you have close relatives who are balding, you’re more likely to have it, too. So take precautionary measures beforehand.
- Medical Conditions: A temporary hair loss can be a sign of medical issues, like anemia or thyroid. Sometimes lack of protein and iron in the diet can also cause your hair to thin. If you have diabetes your chance of hair loss is much higher. The drugs we take for diseases like Cancer, Arthritis, Depression, Heart problems, High Blood Pressure may also cause hair fall in men.
- Immune System: Your own immune system attacks your hair follicles, causing small patches of hair to fall out. This condition is called alopecia areata. You are more likely to have it from a close family member who has it.
- Stress: Sudden or excessive weight loss, surgery, stress, or even fever and the flu can also bring temporary hair loss.
- Grooming: When you pull your hair tightly while wearing a ponytail, or braids it can cause temporary hair loss called traction alopecia. Even hot oil treatments may damage your hair follicles.
However, there are dozens of other reasons that can also cause hair loss in men. Read it here. So now without wasting any more time let’s jump onto the main query at the hour, does masturbation cause hair loss in men?
Q. Does Masturbation Cause Hair Loss In Men?
In one word, No. This is nothing but a myth. There is no scientific evidence or theory that proves masturbating can cause hair loss. So the query goes ahead to be further explained as to why “does masturbation cause hair loss in men” is only a myth and nothing more.
This myth may have come from the idea of semen as it contains high levels of protein. So with each ejaculation, the body loses the protein. And as we told earlier, lack of protein may lead to hair loss. But the truth is, although semen is high in protein with approximately 5.04 grams of protein per 100 milliliters of semen and each ejaculation contains just 3.3 to 3.7 milliliters of semen, which is comparatively a very small amount.
However, a study from 2001 showed that adult males actually had seen increased testosterone levels after abstaining from masturbation for 3 weeks. This indicates that testosterone levels may actually rise if a person avoids masturbation.
But still, there is no solid evidence to prove this study right.
Q. Does Too Much Masturbation Cause Harm To Your Body?
No, masturbation is not physically or emotionally harmful to the body in any way. Although there are myths about the risks. It’s completely safe. It is the ultimate form of safer ejaculation and there’s no risk of STD infections.
However due to frequent ejaculation, sometimes skin irritation may occur, but using plenty of lubricants can prevent this problem.
Some people masturbate more than once a day, some do it once in a while, and some people never masturbate, all are completely normal. For more, you need to learn a few things about Masturbation here.
Q. How Much Is Too Much Masturbation?
Also a very commonly asked question apart from “does masturbation cause hair loss in men” is how often should one masturbate. There’s no particular number. Despite the health benefits, excessive masturbation may cause physical and psychological harm to your body.
If you’re missing your work, appointments, canceling social engagements, or plans in favor of it then you are most likely doing it too much. People may lose trust in your commitments which you may regret later.
Besides, it is possible to hurt yourself while masturbating frequently depending on how you do it. Masturbating roughly can cause damage to your penis and reduced sensitivity over time. Too much masturbation can sometimes also affect your sexual performance with a partner.
Q. What Are The Other Common Myths About Masturbation?
Not everything you hear about masturbation is true. Most of the time we only hear the negative part of it. It has its own benefits and potential risks too, but don’t get them confused with the common myths about it. There are many myths that exist about masturbation but modern science has not proven any of them as the cause of any particular condition.
Here are the common myths about masturbation among men.
- It causes hair to grow on the palms of your hands
- It leads to blindness
- It permanently damages the genitals
- It causes impotence in men
- It affects your sex life.
Probably there are several other myths about it that exist locally around the world. None of them is true! In case if you are too concerned about it we would recommend you to consult with a professional. We do not offer any medical suggestions in this article. And all the studies are based on research and facts.
Q. What Are The Benefits Of Masturbation?
Hope we have cleared all the doubts that you had earlier about masturbation. Now let’s talk about the benefits of doing it. Masturbation when done occasionally, is a healthy sexual activity. Maybe a few of you don’t even know about it.
Research suggests that sexual stimulation, including stimulation through masturbation, may help you in different ways. Here they are.
- Relieves you from stress
- Helps you to sleep better
- Makes you relaxed
- Makes you feel the pleasure
- Boosts your mood
- Relieves you from cramps
- Helps to have better sex
- Release you from sexual tension
- Helps you to better understand your wants and needs sexually.
Sometimes professionals also suggest couples mutually masturbate to explore different desires, as well as avoid pregnancy. Self-pleasuring also helps to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
The Bottom Line:
This is everything you need to know about Masturbation and all the myths that surround it. The most common myth that we have thrown light to today is “does masturbation cause hair loss in men” and the answer as we conclude is no. As there are no specific negative effects of masturbation, but avoid overdoing it and make sure your activity is healthy and safe.
Disclaimer: This article does not represent the views and opinions of medical professionals. It is solely based on research and reference by the author. It does not offer any medical suggestions or advice.
Share with others: