Hair packs are quick but highly potent, and effective ways to provide your hair with tons of health benefits in a very limited time. Hair masks especially homemade hair pack for dry hair are like high-powered hair conditioners, giving your hair benefits like softening and hydrating, a boost to grow, adding shine, and even fighting off infections.
Best homemade hair packs are great for soothing and repairing cuticles damaged from coloring, hot tools, saltwater, and even chlorine. They’re customizable to your specific hair type, whether it be coarse, frizzy, dry, oily, fine, or wavy. This collection of hair masks only requires a few, all-natural ingredients each, which can all be found in your fridge or cupboard and come straight from the Earth.
The recipes we’re going to share with you are all wonderful hair masks to help nourish, protect, and moisturize your hair, so you can ensure you’re putting your best hair forward.
Related Post: How To Grow Hair Faster & Thicker Naturally?
Q. What Causes Dry And Damaged Hair?
A variety of factors lead to dry hair, including environmental conditions, your hair care habits, and your physical health.
#Some of the environmental conditions that cause dry hair include:
- living in a dry, hot climate
- spending a lot of time in the sun or wind
- frequently swimming in chlorinated or salty water
#Haircare practices that often contribute to dry hair include:
- washing your hair too often.
- using harsh shampoos, conditioners, or styling products.
- dying or chemically treating your hair.
- regularly blow-drying your hair.
- using electric curling irons, straighteners, or curlers.
#In some cases, dry hair is the result of an underlying health problem that affects your hair’s ability to retain moisture. Examples include:
- Anorexia Nervosa: An eating disorder, which can lead to malnutrition. It can cause dry and brittle hair, along with more serious complications.
- Hypoparathyroidism: If you have Hypoparathyroidism, the parathyroid gland in your neck produces too little parathyroid hormone, which decreases the level of calcium in your blood. As calcium is a key nutrient for healthy hair, as well as bones, teeth, and other tissue.
- Hypothyroidism: With Hypothyroidism, your thyroid glands don’t produce enough thyroid hormones. Dry and brittle hair is one of the early symptoms of this condition.
- Menkes Syndrome: If you have Menkes syndrome, a rare genetic condition, your cells don’t absorb enough copper. Low copper absorption affects the health of your hair, causing dryness.
13 Homemade Hair Packs To Get Rid Of Dry And Damaged Hair Naturally :
1. Coconut Oil + Honey Hair Pack
Coconuts truly are the magical ingredient for your hair which can be used for hair and skin, is a healthy fat for cooking, aids in digestion, supports the body’s natural hormones. The benefits of Coconut Oil are endless. Coconut Oil for hair keeps it moist and soft and prevents hair breakage because of its high moisture retaining capabilities.
Since Coconut Oil is the best homemade hair pack loaded with fatty acids, it penetrates the hair more deeply than regular conditioners, leading to beautiful softness. Honey on the other hand is great for retaining moisture in your hair as it is a natural humectant. This means that it sucks moisture into the hair and prevents it from escaping. This is especially great if you have dry hair and need an extra boost of moisture and hydration.
- Take one tablespoon of the oil and one tablespoon of honey and mix all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Transfer mix into a pot and heat up until melted.
- Apply to hair from top to bottom and cover with a shower cap.
- Let it sit for 15-20 mins.
- Rinse properly.
2. Coconut Oil + Cinnamon Hair Pack
We’ve talked about coconut oil in the previous mask recipe and you’ll find Coconut Oil to be in many different hair mask recipes because it is the best homemade hair pack because of its hydrating and moisturizing properties. Cinnamon on the other hand is a natural hair pack for hair growth that has antimicrobial properties that helps your hair grow, helps with dandruff, hair loss, and strengthens your hair follicles as well.
When applied to your hair, cinnamon stimulates circulation to the scalp, improving blood flow to the hair follicles, and leading to stimulated hair growth. If you’re looking for longer hair, this is the hair mask for you.
- Take one tablespoon of coconut oil and one tablespoon of cinnamon mix these two ingredients in a bowl, and make sure they are mixed well.
- Part your hair down the center and start by applying it down the part and on your scalp.
- Use your fingertips to massage the product into your scalp.
- Tie your hair up and cover it with a shower cap or a towel.
- Let this mask sit for 30-45 minutes and then rinse with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
- This mask is best and most effective if used once a week.
3. Banana, Honey, And Yogurt Pack
This mask works excellent as a homemade hair pack for dry hair because bananas are rich in vitamins, potassium, and carbohydrates which work together to help lock in moisture and eliminate frizz. Yogurt has high levels of lactic acid which makes it one of the best homemade hair pack for hair fall which is also excellent to combat dullness and repair damaged hair. Honey adds moisture and hydration to dry hair.
- Combine one mashed banana with two tablespoons of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of honey till they are all blended completely.
- Apply this mix to damp hair from top to bottom.
- Tie your hair up and cover it with a shower cap.
- Leave the mask on your hair for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
4. Egg And Lemon Hair Pack
Eggs are always rich in proteins, Vitamins A, D, and E, and fatty acids that boost shine in your hair. The acidic nature of lemon absorbs excess oil and grease in the scalp making this hair pack great with an oily scalp.
You can easily make this hair pack at home as both the ingredients are available making it one of the best homemade hair pack for hair fall. Not only is it an effective homemade hair pack for dry hair, but it also acts as a cleanser and adds shine to dry and lifeless hair.
- Separate the egg white and yolk and use the white for your mask.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the egg white.
- Mix them to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply to damp hair from top to bottom.
- Tie hair up and cover with a shower cap.
- Let this mask sit for 30-45 minutes and rinse with shampoo and conditioner.
5. Egg, Olive Oil, And Mayonnaise Pack
This unique yet powerful combination works well to moisturize severely your dry hair. Mayonnaise adds a heavy dose of nourishment to the hair while adding shine back. The high protein content of the egg adds to seal moisture.
Olive oil is loaded with fatty acids that coat the hair shaft to repair damaged layers and protect the hair from further damage. Mixing these three gives your hair a triple dose of healing power. This is a good hair mask for dry hair and also works well as a natural hair pack for hair growth.
- Combine 1 cup of mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of olive oil, and three egg yolks.
- Apply this all over your hair.
- Secure your hair on top of your head into a bun and put on a plastic shower cap.
- Let this sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out well without shampoo and condition as usual.
6. Brown Sugar + Olive Oil Hair Pack
Brown sugar is a great exfoliant for the hair that helps get rid of those dead skin cells from your scalp and any other leftover residue buildup so it is one of the best homemade hair pack for dandruff. Olive oil has always been used as a natural conditioner to treat dry hair.
It is one of the best homemade hair pack for dry hair as it produces soft and shiny hair by locking in the moisture and preventing dryness of the scalp. It’s a great resource for preventing hair breakage and split ends.
- Mix the two tablespoons of sugar and one tablespoon of oil into a bowl.
- Apply to your hair from top to bottom.
- Let the pack sit on your hair for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse properly.
7. Avocado, Coconut Oil + Honey Hair Pack
Avocado is a natural, healthy fat, which offers nearly 20 different vitamins and minerals including potassium, folate (which repairs damaged cells), Vitamins C and E (which both promote hair growth). In other words, avocados are one of the best homemade hair pack for dry hair as they add shine, moisturize, provide your hair with essential vitamins and proteins, and even help protect your hair against heat and everyday wear.
- Mash 1 avocado and put the mash in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of honey, and oil to the avocado mixture and mix it well.
- Apply to your hair from the ends to the roots.
- Let’s sit for 15-20 minutes.
8. Strawberry, Coconut Oil + Honey Hair Pack
This hair mask recipe is great to achieve overall hair health, and one of everyone’s particular favorites because the strawberries make it smell so delicious. Strawberries are full of Vitamin C, which helps your body create collagen, an important part of the hair’s structure. This strawberry hair mask is one of the best homemade hair pack for dry hair as it eliminates excess oil and greases and will give your hair a bossy look.
- Blend 6-8 ripe strawberries, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to form a puree.
- Apply evenly to damp hair.
- Let it sit for 5-10 mins.
- Rinse well with warm water.
9. Banana And Olive Oil For A Restorative Pack
Two ingredients you surely have sitting in your kitchen that can work wonders on your hair are bananas and olive oil. Banana makes one of the best homemade hair pack for dry hair as it hydrates and moisturizes dull, damaged, dry hair, as it’s rich in vitamins and minerals (such as potassium) that can strengthen the hair and balance the pH of the scalp.
Olive oil is rich in healthy fats and Vitamin E which makes the hair look more shiny and sleek. It also moisturizes your hair and heals damage that causes breakage and split ends.
- Blend 1 ripe banana and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl.
- Mash the banana until it reaches a lump-free puree.
- The result should be a creamy, frothy hair mask.
- While in the shower, apply the mask throughout the hair and scalp with fingers. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing.
10. Egg Yolk At The Rescue
Your morning breakfasts just got a little more multipurpose. “Egg yolk is rich in vitamins that make your hair more resistant to damage,” explains Friese. “Vitamins A and E, biotin, and folate are some of the nutrients that have been linked to hair growth and healthy hair. Applying egg yolk to your scalp is one of the best homemade hair pack for dry hair as infuses the root of your hair with these vitamins.”
- Stir the egg yolk and apply the mask using fingers.
- Make sure to coat the top of the scalp and the ends of the hair.
- Leave on for one hour and rinse with cold water.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
According to Friese, apple cider vinegar has many benefits for many hair types. “It can be a great detangler for long fine hair. It can help close the cuticle of color-treated hair, thus reducing fading. It can also help control frizz, making it a popular treatment among those with curly and natural hair.
It can even clear the hair follicle from debris and help reduce hair loss” making it one of the best homemade hair pack for dandruff. If you have dry hair, be cautious, as using too much can cause further dryness by removing too many oils.
- Mix one cup of apple cider vinegar with a tablespoon of honey.
- Put the mixture into a spray bottle and mist onto your hair.
- Leave in for 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
12. Olive Oil And Coconut Oil Pack
It is one of the best homemade hair pack for dry hair as the combination of olive oil and coconut oil purely contributes to a commercial-ready, high-gloss shine. Abramite explains, “Both are natural emollients that keep hydration in the hair so it can remain smooth, soft, and shiny.” And if you have dry ends, olive oil in particular will coat them, making them feel smooth and look polished.
- Mix one-fourth of a cup of olive oil with one tablespoon of heated coconut oil.
- The warmth of the oil will open the hair cuticle for deeper penetration.
- Leave it on the hair for 10 minutes in a shower cap.
- Then rinse with warm water.
13. Lemon And Egg Pack
If your hair routine consists of loads of dry shampoo, hairspray, and other styling products, you’re likely to be experiencing buildup on your scalp. A clarifying shampoo could help, but a DIY( do it yourself) hair mask made up of eggs and lemon may be easier to whip up. “The whites of the eggs are high in protein and vitamins that can strengthen damaged hair.
They also remove build-up, making them great for oily hair and scalp health,” says Friese. “Lemon can balance the pH of the scalp, boost hair growth, and help reduce hair loss. It also adds shine and helps reduce the ‘eggy smell’ that lingers in the hair.
- Mix one egg white and the juice of one lemon in a bowl.
- Apply to clean, dry hair and scalp.
- Leave on for one hour before rinsing out.
Dry hair is a sign of hair damage. If left untreated, your hair can become brittle, causing it to break or fray easily. Most cases of dry hair can be effectively treated with simple homemade hacks. Everyone has their homemade hair pack for dry hair of choice when it comes to treating damaged, inducing shine, or just adding a dollop of moisture.
But to be real, most of them are too expensive to use as frequently as recommended. Thankfully, when you’re in between masks, you can make your own with ingredients you probably already have around the house. We have already discussed the best homemade hair pack for dry hair. You can now choose the best one for you.
Disclaimer: This article does not represent the views and opinions of medical professionals. It is solely based on research and reference by the author. It does not offer any medical suggestions or advice.
Share with others: