It’s past April now, and we’re in the mid of summers in India. With the hot weather, what better way to cool down and escape the summer heat with some fun travel plans? You can take a break from the plain lands and hit the beach or relax by the mountainside. India is filled with great scenic locations like hills, exotic forests, beaches and mountains and other places to visit in India. You can take a break from your day to day life and spend time getting some relief from these beautiful locations! Not to forget that some of these places are cooler in temperature or more chilly compared to the hot weather in the plains. This is the perfect time of the year to plan a vacation with your family or friends to visit some of these places. SO take a break, to gather some wonderful memories in this summer holidays in India, here are a few cool places to visit in India in summer.
Places To Visit In North India In Summers :
1. Ladakh :
Topping our list is Ladakh, one of the loveliest places to visit in India in summers. With blue lakes and skies, and an appealing hillscape across, it is considered one of the best places to spend a holiday. Summers are the best time to visit Ladakh.
- How To Travel: You can make it a road trip, Ladakh is every biker’s dream vacation. You can consider a road trip if you are traveling from Delhi, i.e, 1300 km away. However, you can catch a flight or train from Delhi, or other closeby cities.
- Must Visit Places: Zanskar Valley, Pangong Tso Lake, Kargil, Nubra Valley, Hemis National Park, etc.
- Things You Can Do: When in Ladakh, you can explore the rocky routes, enjoy the serenity of lakesides like Pangong Tso Lake, enjoy camel rides through sand dunes of Nubra Valley.
2. Kashmir :
Next on our list of best places to visit in India in summers is Kashmir. Talking about cool summer destinations, one cannot miss out on Kashmir. It is the perfect destination for every explorer, from serene valleys to scenic views, it is no less than paradise in India.
- How To Travel: The best way to travel to Kashmir is by flight, the nearest airport would be in Srinagar. You can even catch a train, the nearest railway station is in Jammu, 290 km from Kashmir.
- Must Visit Places: Dal Lake, Pahalgam, Srinagar, Gulmarg, Kashmir Valley, Kargil, Kupwara, Hemis.
- Things You Can Do: There’s a lot you can do in Kashmir, from cruising the lakes to relaxing by the lush greenery around snow-capped mountains and still valleys.
3. Manali :
Nothing compares to the scenic beauty of Manali, hence it makes next to our list of places to visit in India in summers. It is a breath of fresh air, with a relaxed setting of green mountains amidst snow-covered ranges. Manali makes for a perfect destination for vacation in summer.
- How To Travel: People love taking a road trip to Manali, the closest you can start a trip from is Delhi, which is 546 km away. The best way to reach Manali is by flight, to Bhuntar, that is only 50 km away.
- Must Visit Places: Manu Temple, Manali Sanctuary, Beas Kund Trek, Chandratal, Baralacha Trek, Himalayan National Park.
- Things You Can Do: You can indulge in a lot of adventure sports in Solang Valley, go paragliding, quad biking. Visit the Rohtang Pass, explore Kullu.
4. Shimla :
Another well-known place in Northern India to visit in summers is Shimla. It is one of the most visited holiday destinations, thanks to its natural beauty and British Elegance. It is the place to visit if you want a relaxing and fun retreat away from the city.
- How To Travel: Road trip to Shimla can be taken from Delhi, but if you wish to travel by train, the nearest station is Kalka. You can even take the flight from Delhi.
- Must Visit Places: Jakhoo Hill, Himalayan Bird Park, Chadwick falls, The scandal point, Mall road, Green Valley, summer hills.
- Things You Can Do: You can do a lot in Shimla. You can visit the mall road, and make a beautiful drive to Jakhu hill. You can even play polo by the ridge.
5. Gangtok :
Another must in our list of places to visit in India in summers in Northeast is Gangtok. It may not be the most frequently visited locations, but it is a great destination to visit during summers in May-June. It has profound valleys and lush picturesque backgrounds.
- How To Travel: Wondering how to travel, the best way is to take a flight from Delhi, 124 km away. You can even take the train. The nearest train station is in Siliguri, 148 km away.
- Must Visit Places: Nathu La Pass, MG road, Rumtek Monastery, Tsomgo Lake, Ganesh Tok, Kanchenjunga.
- Things You Can Do: You can explore the wildlife in Gangtok, home to many species, visit the alpines flora and fauna, go trekking to Changu lake.
Places To Visit In South India In Summers :
6. Coorg :
Not just north India, you can even travel to a few places in the south during your summer vacation. Next on our list of best places to visit in India in summers is Coorg. The exotic natural beauty is filled with valleys, mountains, and forests that can take your breath away.
- How To Travel: Most people living in and around Bangalore can go via road to Coorg, which is 237 km away from the main city. The nearest airport is from Mangalore at 160 km away. Train is closest at Mysore which is 95 km away.
- Must Visit Places: Abbey Falls, Talacauvery, Golden temple, Raja’s seat, White river rafting, Nagarhole, Tadiandamol.
- Things You Can Do: When in Coorg, you can relax by the serene Cauvery and indulge in some water sports to fight those summer blues. You can take a trip to the temples nearby. Even the falls like Iruppu and Unchalli make a relaxing spot.
7. Munnar :
Another spot in the south that is worth visiting is Munnar, in Kerala. It makes next in the south for places to visit in India in summers. From a serene climate and picturesque view, and awe-striking scenery, Munnar makes a great tourist destination in India.
- How To Travel: The best way to reach Munnar is via Cochin that is 110 km away. You can even take the train which is from Aluva that is 110 km away. Road trip to Munnar is 131 km from Kochi.
- Must Visit Places: Tea museum, Cheeyappara waterfalls, Pothamedu viewpoint, Attukad waterfalls, Kundala lake, Mattupetty dam.
- Things You Can Do: There are many things you can do in Munnar. From sprawling the tea plantations, indulging in sports, viewing the gushing waterfalls of Athirapally.
8. Ooty :
Another beautiful location in the south is the heavenly Ooty. It is a soothing destination not only to your eyes but your soul as well. The lush woodlands and gardens alongside shimmering lakes are a serene bliss.
- How To Travel: The best way to reach Ooty is via a flight to Coimbatore which is 85 km away from Ooty. To take a road trip the nearest major city is Bangalore which is at a distance of 280 km.
- Must Visit Places: Avalanche Lake, Ooty lake, Emerald Lake, Ooty botanical gardens, Doddabetta peak, Kalhatty waterfalls.
- Things You Can Do: There’s much to do in Ooty, you can take a ride around enjoying the scenic view, boat rides on Ooty Lake and watch the sunset from Doddabetta peak.
9. Kodaikanal :
Kodaikanal is a great place to visit during the summers. You can travel in June to Kodai, to enjoy silky pine trees and cold streams. It definitely is a treat to the eyes, the woods and tranquility of the falls will enliven you.
- How To Travel: You can reach Kodaikanal via a flight to Madurai, which is 120 km away from Kodai. You can even take the train to Kodai road, which is 100 km away.
- Must Visit Places: Kodaikanal lake, Coakers walk, silver cascade falls, pine forest, pillar rocks, Kumbakkarai falls, Berijam lake.
- Things You Can Do: When in Kodai you must visit the beautiful and serene waterfalls and serene lakes. You can visit the famous temples of Kodai, rent a boat and cruise in the lakes and visit the historic locations too.
10. Coonoor :
Last but not least, is another serene location from the south, Coonoor. It is the ultimate retreat from the summer heat and next on our list of places to visit in India in summers. From picturesque views and mountains with plantations, it is definitely a magnificent view.
- How To Travel: If you are wondering how to reach Coonoor, you can take the flight to Coimbatore, which is 42 km away. You can take the train to Coonoor as well. A road trip would be 285 km from the main city of Bangalore.
- Must Visit Places: Sim’s park Coonoor, lamb’s rock, Highfield tea factory, dolphin’s nose, wellington lake, tiger hill, all saints church.
- Things You Can Do: There’s a lot of things you can do in Coonoor, the st; Catherine’s fall is among the popular attractions. Trekking over the mountains and enjoying the view. Even golf is an active sport you can enjoy.
These are a few places to visit in India in summers in our radar, but there are many more beautiful places in India that you can visit. A few that we haven’t mentioned in our list are Shillong, Darjeeling, Lonavla, Mahabaleshwar, Mcleodganj, Rishikesh, Nandi Hills, Cherrapunji, etc. So what are you waiting for? Take a break from the hustle bustle of city life and visit some of these places with your friends or family this summer.
Share with others: